Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Every day that I speak with clients and candidates I learn something new. However, I am beginning to see some similarities when I ask a candidate about his or her strengths or weaknesses. All too many times on the weakness side I am hearing that I would rather do something myself rather than delegate it to one of my subordinates. On the flip side I recently went on a client visit and during a conversation with the CEO he told me that he tolerated and in fact embraced mistakes as a matter of learning. It was a breath of fresh air to hear this CEO say he tolerated mistakes. He then used those mistakes as a means to coach and mentor his staff members. It is like being the coach of a sports team. If your player misses the free throw, you're not allowed to go out there and take the second one yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment