As a business owner and as a recruiter I found that many people do not know how to resign with grace and tact. Here are a few bullet points that will help in the resignation process.
1. Before you resign be sure you have an executed agreement with your new employer and be sure all contingencies have been spelled out.
2. Make sure you understand your current company's policy and approach to resignations and know how previous resignations were handled. Give a proper and fair notice.
3. Meet with your supervisor to discuss the resignation and present a professional letter of resignation.
4. Continue working for your current employer and do not mentally check out. This will insure that you leave on good terms.
5. Be sure your friends and co-workers have your new contact information and remain a resource as there will surely be questions after you leave.