Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Preparation sis the key tp succes


Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four hours sharpening the axe. “  
                           -   Abraham Lincoln
 
Lincoln is very much in the news these days with examinations of his character, his leadership style and his actions.  Not to mention the movie about his presidency that has gotten so much attention.  Although Lincoln’s quote is short and to the point what he is saying is that preparation is the key to success. 
 
Over my 25 plus years as a recruiter I have planned my work and then worked my plan on a daily basis.  That being said, there are always the emergencies and last minute changes to deal with; but I always had a plan to go back to!
 
Much has been written about how to ace an interview and get the job.  Part of my daily plan, when needed, is to set aside time to discuss interview preparation with candidates going out on interviews and preparing the client to meet the candidate.  I cannot tell you how many times a client did not want to take the time to hear about a candidate, and ever more surprising was how many times I heard from a candidate that they had never blown an interview and did not need to have any information from me.
 
Needless to say, in both of these situations the interviews did not go well and both the clients and candidates were looking to me for answers.  My response was and is that preparation is the key to success.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment